Pricing and Ordering (#3527)
|On April 5, 2012 VCU announced a new Wireless Communication Allowance policy. Any requests for new, University provided service requires an exception form authorized by your vice president. If you have already received an exception for your current service you may submit change/upgrade requests through the HelpIT center. Please make sure to note in your request that an Exception Form is on file. For more information about the policy please review the Cell/Blackberries/Air Cards page.|
If you have received an exception to the Wireless Communication Allowance policy and have provided a copy to VCU Telecommunication follow the instructions below.
- Choose your carrier and plan
- Visit the web sites below to determine the best plan for you.
- If you are requesting cell service only choose a voice plan.
- Blackberries can be requested with both a voice and data plan or just a data plan.
- Aircards require a data plan (some blackberries can be tethered to provide wireless access for your PC without an aircard)
- International usage is billed by Mbytes and can be very expensive. Be sure to discuss your options with a Telecommunication Services Analyst.
- Choose your equipment
- Equipment must be chosen from the same vendor who will be providing your plan. You cannot select a Verizon plan and an AT&T phone
- NOTE: This fee has been eliminated but may still be referenced on the HelpIT request. Blackberries require a $100.00 licensing fee billed separately through Banner (What is this for?)
- Aircards come in 3 flavors:
- PCIA slot (older PC's)
- Express Slot
- USB (most popular)
- If you do not currently have a cell phone plan you must obtain area Dean designee authorization. Download the form here.
- Submit your order with the requested plan and equipment. Not sure what you want or need? VCU Telecommunications will be happy to help you decipher your options.
|IMPORTANT PRICING NOTE|
|Prices on the websites listed below DO NOT include the mandatory mark-up. All plans carry a surcharge of approximately 20%. All equipment carries a surcharge of approximately 15%. Your order confirmation will be returned to you with the full price of the plans and the equipment included.|
(if you need a plan that allows international travel select a "Global" plan from one of the vendors below)
Need help deciphering all of this information? Submit a request for cell or blackberry service and we will contact you to help.
This article was updated: 10/25/2012