StudyMate allows instructors to easily create Flash-based learning activities and games that can be published directly to Blackboard. This is available as a free download to all VCU faculty.
This tool offers many enhancements to the current methods of authoring and distributing assessments in Blackboard.
- Interactive activities can be created from existing content.
- Choose from ten Flash-based activities and games.
- No programming or HTML skills are required.
- Microsoft Word (a tool used by nearly all faculty) can be used to create activities.
- StudyMate easily imports items from MS Word files and publisher test banks into Blackboard.
Authoring & Importing
- Create Flash-based activities and games using an "offline" Windows interface.
- Create activities for use on iPods, Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) and other small screen devices.
- Four templates let you create ten activities and games (view sample activities here).
- Import existing content from Respondus, MS Word, rich-text, IMS QTI, and other formats.
- Download publisher test banks for use with StudyMate Author from the Respondus Test Bank Network
- "Spell check" an entire file (includes dictionaries for American English, Canadian English, British English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Finnish, and a comprehensive medical dictionary).
- Insert graphics such as gif, jpeg, bmp, png, and pcx.
- Embed audio files such as mp3 or wav.
- Convert over-sized graphics to a suitable size with one click.
- Create algorithmic questions using the "Calculated" template.
- Insert mathematical and scientific symbols using the built-in Equation Editor or MathType.
- Add links to content on other servers with the Web Link tool.
- Use the Quick Copy Wizard to quickly assemble activities from existing StudyMate Author files or publisher test banks.
- Randomize questions and answer choices so the activity is different each time it's started.
Preview, Publish, and Settings
- Select from six language interfaces for activities (Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, and Spanish).
- Choose settings that meet your accessibility objectives.
- Preview activities and games before generating the Flash object.
- Select only the activities and games wanted for the final Flash object.
- Publish activities directly to Blackboard Basic or Enterprise (6.0 or higher), WebCT CE (4.0 or higher), WebCT Vista (2.1 or higher), or ANGEL LMS (6.3 or higher).
- Export activities as a SCORM 1.2 learning object or as a standard Flash (swf) object.
- Print questions or items directly from StudyMate Author, or save them to MS Word or in rich-text format.
- Full context-sensitive help
- StudyMate Author User Guide (MS Word/Wordpad format)
- Access to over 1,000 publisher test banks that can be downloaded and used with StudyMate Author -- FREE to instructors who adopt a participating textbook