- Teaching and learning
- Classroom Clickers
- Faculty members can obtain instructor kits (response card & receiver) at the VCU IT Support Center (view office locations and hours). No hardware or software will be installed on the classroom computers. Instructors will need to bring the USB stick to their classes to use Turning Technologies clickers.
- In most large classrooms a specific channel posted on the podium and online should be assigned to avoid interference with another classroom. Online channel assignment for classrooms can be viewed at TurningTechnologies Channel Assignment
- The CPS software from your computer will need to be uninstalled in order to avoid a conflict with TurningTechnologies receiver
- Note: The Turning Technologies ResponseWare mobile application available for mobile devices such as Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) and Google Android devices are currently NOT supported at VCU. A plan is being developed to test this software for possible future implementation.
Set Up Guide
This guide will help you set up the most basic functions of the device:
How to navigate to open the DashBoard.
- Plug the USB-receiver into the PC that you wish to use. NOTE: If you are in a classroom it is highly recommended that you plug the device into the actual PC and not the monitor.
- You can either wait for the USB device detected promptly to pop up- if this is the case press Open folder to View files. Otherwise, you can open My computer and wait for the device to show up. The device will be named Turning Technologies (Letter) NOTE: the letter may vary depending on the PC you are using.
- Depending on the type of device you are using this step will vary. If you are using a MAC- Please open the TurningPoint Mac. If you are a PC user- Please open the TurningPoint PC. NOTE: If you do not know the type of your device it is most likely a PC.
- Open TurningPoint.exe, after a few seconds Turning Dashboard should open. NOTE: If this is your first time using the device then there should be an EULA- Read it if you like, pressing accept will continue to the dashboard.
A participation list is a list showing which devices responded and links these devices to students. For a student to show up on your participation list they should register their device on Blackboard. Instructions for that can be found here. For an instructor to update their participation list they should follow these steps:
- Open TurningPoint Dashboard. Open the Manage tab (Tabs are located at the upper left-hand corner of the window)
- Press the drop down menu for Participant list. Select New.
- A pop-out window should appear. Select the option Download form Integration. Then select create List
- For integration select Blackboard. For server address fill in :https://blackboard.vcu.edu. For your username fill in your info that you use to login to Blackboard (Should be your EID). Your password should be the EID password.
- Select Connect.
- After some loading, the menu should close and you should see the course name under the participant lists now.
- Note: The course name may look a little different- The closest match should be the course.
Your first Poll
A poll is a question session where students will input their answer and at the end of the session, you will have all the student inputs recorded. To set up your first anywhere poll:
- Open TurningPoint Dashboard. You should be under the Polling Tab (Tabs are located at the upper left-hand corner of the window) NOTE: There are 3 kinds of polling- PowerPoint polling, Anywhere Polling and Self-paced polling.
- Press Anywhere Polling. The dashboard should minimize and a Polling option should appear in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
- When you are at the point where you would like to ask a question and receive a response from your students, you should click the green Play button.
- As students respond you should see the Responses counter increase. This is a current count of how many students responded. So if you have 150 students you should expect to see 150 responses if each student is answering.
- When you are done collecting responses to your First question, Press the green stop button. A graph of the responses will now show up. NOTE: The Play button should turn into the stop button once you press it.
- When you are ready for your next question Press the green play button again to record responses. You can stop collecting responses again by pressing the green stop button.
- Repeat step 6 until you are done with your session (done asking questions). When you are ready to end your class/ questions simply press the gray X in the upper left-hand corner of the polling pop up.
- If you are asked to save your session, you should save it on the USB receiver with a name of your choice. IMPORTANT- IF YOU DO NOT SAVE YOUR SESSION DATA YOU WILL HAVE ZERO DATA FROM THAT SESSION- MEANING STUDENTS WILL NOT HAVE A GRADE FOR THAT CLASS. IT IS VITAL THAT YOU SAVE THE SESSION DATA
- It would be a good idea to use the clicker given to you to test your first poll before your class starts.
Scoring your poll
You should have already created a participation list and given your first poll. Your next step is to mark the correct answers inside your session (Data collected from polling). Some instructors prefer not to give a correct answer and instead use the whole session as attendance. The decision is up to you.
- If you do decide to select a correct answer, then opening Turning Dashboard- navigate towards the Manage tab.
- Find your session. If it is not under your course it will most likely be under auto. Click on the arrow to the side to get a drop down menu.
- Select the session you wish to score. Then press Edit Session.
- You should see a menu with all the questions you asked and the answers that students responded.
- Select the question that you wish to select a correct answer to. On the left-hand side press the arrow next to Scoring Options.
- Find the correct answer and select the menu- and select correct. All of the other answers should now be incorrect. If not manually select and make them incorrect.
- Repeat steps 5-6 until you have finished selecting the correct answers for your entire session.
- When you are finished press Save and Close.
After you have graded the session the next step is to upload the grades. You do not need to upload after each session. You can save up all the points and then upload at the end. Though it is not recommended. In case that there are errors it is important that you find them as soon as you can.
- Opening Turning Point Dashboard. Navigate to the Manage Tab.
- Select the course name you wish to upload. NOTE: DO NOT SELECT THE SESSION FILE. SELECT THE PARENT FOLDER- THE COURSE NAME.
- Select Results Manager.
- In the upper left-hand corner select Integrations.
- For integration select Blackboard. For server address fill in :https://blackboard.vcu.edu. For your username fill in your info that you use to login to Blackboard (Should be your EID). Your password should be the EID password. Press Connect.
- After some loading, your grades should now be on Blackboard. Log on to Blackboard to confirm that the grades were able to transfer and that they transferred correctly.
Support Website: http://www.turningtechnologies.com/responsesystemsupport/
Phone: 866.746.3015 (Toll free, 7a.m. - 9p.m. Eastern, M-F)
Online Form: https://turningtechnologies1.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
To schedule a training session or any questions, please contact the VCU IT Support Center (828-2227, email@example.com)
This article was updated: 11/16/2016