App2Go Citrix® Server
New Login Procedures: Use your VCU eID and password to login to the App2Go server. Contact the VCU helpIT Center if you need assistance.
- Why Use the App2Go Server?
- Access to App2Go Server
- App2Go Login
- Available Applications
- Server Specifications
- How to Use the App2Go Server
- App2Go Settings for MACs
- Additonal App2Go Information & Support
- Virtual Desktop
The App2Go Server consists of high cost statistical and mathematical applications that were installed and are managed on a Citrix XenApp server. When you run an application on the server, the application appears to be running on your local computer. You can open and save files on your computer and print on your local printer.
VCU faculty, staff and students can access most of the applications from any location via clients on the Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. Your computer must have a fast Internet connection (e.g., on-campus network, cable modem, or DSL). The App2Go server is licensed to support a maximum of 250 concurrent users, limiting access to 250 people at one time.
Note: The App2Go server is NOT intended for use with sensitive data. Sensitive data should be de-identified before using it on this server.
Using applications on the App2Go Citrix Server has several advantages:
- It saves you money. You don't need to purchase a license because it is licensed on the server.
- It saves you time. You don't need to spend time installing, patching and upgrading the applications. Just login to the App2Go server and use them.
- It provides access to some statistical and mathematical software packages that are not included in campus wide licenses, such as AMOS and Stata.
- You can use the applications on Windows, Mac, or Linux clients.
- It enables Mac and Linux users to run applications that may not be available on the Mac or Linux platforms.
You will need to login to the App2Go server with your VCU eID and password to access the applications on App2Go . All VCU faculty, staff and student now have access to the App2Go server.
Each application on the App2Go server has a limit on the number of concurrent users.
* These applications may be available for installation on your own Windows workstation. Some are fee based and others are free. Most are available by download.
The software available on the App2Go server may only be used by current VCU faculty, staff and students for VCU work only. The App2Go server is licensed to support 250 concurrent users, limiting the use to 250 people on the App2Go server at one time. Due to this limitation, the App2Go server is NOT intended for instructional use.
The App2Go Citrix server is a server farm consisting of two servers. Both have quad core 3.00 Ghz processors and 16GB ram.
A centrally managed Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) with distributed authority to schools and departments for creation, management and deployment of virtual desktop will be implemented using Citrix XenDesktop. The pilot is limited in size and scope - depending on the total requests there may be a limitation to the number of desktops allocated to each school/department. Please complete the following form to request VDI seat access for your department:
A larger scale pilot of this type of solution should be implemented in 2015-16. The expanded pilot will accommodate more departments and a more diversified range of uses.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact App2Go@vcu.edu.
This article was updated: 06/5/2015