JumpStart Program: Request a Course (#3717)
The Blackboard JumpStart Program is for any faculty/instructors that have never used Blackboard. It’s simple; the Learning Systems staff in Technology Services will create your Blackboard course site for you. Then we'll personally show you how to keep it up-to-date. Your initial course will include everything your students need to get started; the actual online course presence, your syllabus and, if you like, your office hours and other contact information.
To get started: Send an email to the Learning Systems staff in Technology Services at email@example.com, include the following information and attach your syllabus to the email:
- Your Course ID (e.g. ACCT-101-001)
- Your Name
- Your VCU eID
- Your phone contact information (so we can contact you--will not be on the course unless you provide it below)
- Optional contact information (to add to your course)
- First Name
- Last Name
- Work Phone
- Office Location
- Office Hours
You will be notified once the course has been created and given additional information to maintain your course(s). Because specific timeframes during the semester are busier than others; we cannot promise a specific turn-around time, but the sooner we receive the information before the start of any semester the better!
After the course is created, you will receive plenty of support to keep your course up-to-date. We have a variety of resources available to help you get the most out of your Blackboard course:
- Your initial Blackboard set-up is a way to start connecting and communicating with your students. As you explore how to use technology in your teaching we encourage you to contact the VCU Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE). The CTE offers workshops that address specific instructional uses of Blackboard and using technology to support teaching and learning. The CTE staff is also available for individual consultations related to instructional technology. To learn more about the CTE’s many workshops and programs visit www.vcu.edu/cte.
- Explore all the training materials we've put online by going to the askIT Knowledge Base at http://www.ts.vcu.edu/kb/blackboard.html. This area is filled with FAQs, Guides, Tip Sheets and Videos.
- Personal support from the Technology Services Learning Systems staff is available by phone or email during the work week. Simply call the Technology Services helpIT Center at 804-828-2227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We have an easy-to-understand guide (“Blackboard Faculty Guide”) that will help you with sending announcements, sharing files and links, posting assignments and grading student work, all from within Blackboard. Look for it online at http://www.ts.vcu.edu/kb/blackboard/3844.html or call us at 804-828-2227 and request “Blackboard Faculty Guide”.
This article was updated: 11/03/2011