How to Request a Student Worker Account (#4314)
Under State and Federal laws, we are required to manage official University records and be able to respond to Freedom of Information Act requests, subpoenas and other legal discovery proceedings for email records of University employees. Under our current arrangement with Google, we cannot directly access student accounts for these purposes. If you have student employees who use email as part of their official job responsibilities, they must not use their new student email account (@mymail.vcu.edu) for official work activities. You should establish "generic" or group accounts in Lotus Notes for use by your student employees (many of you already have generic accounts for your units). The approved naming format for your student worker account(s) will be your department name/STWK/# (Multiple students can use a single generic account ) i.e. BUSSTWK1.
To request a University student worker account, please submit a Remedy ticket, http://supportcenter.vcu.edu.
- Choose problem: Lotus Notes Then choose Generic/Group/Department E-mail Account then click OK.
- On the next screen, Select I agree. You must fax this completed, signed form to 828-0322
- After you complete the Generic Account Create Request Form - click SUBMIT
- You will then need to complete login and name in this view and click SAVE before the request is complete.
- After you click SAVE you will receive see the following screen displayed:
- You will also receive an e-mail in your in-box notifying you the ticket has been created.
Accessing the Account
Should you wish to access this account directly via VCU Mail Anywhere or IMAP, the generic e-mail account owner will set a secure eID password for the account.
To access directly via the web, go to https://webdirect.vcu.edu, enter the generic account ID and password.
Some things to keep in mind when using VCU Mail Anywhere:
- Internet Explorer 7 or 8 and Firefox are supported browsers on the PC, Firefox and Safari on the Mac
- Full mode requires the installation of the IBM add-on/active-x control, please accept upon first prompt
- Full mode also requires that you allow pop-ups, please allow
- If you experience issues in Full mode, try Lite mode (upper right near preferences)
Details for creating an IMAP connection can be reviewed here: http://ts.vcu.edu/kb/2240.html
The generic account incoming mail server name will be provided to the requestor via e-mail once the account has been created.
Once a year, Technology Services must confirm and identify the current account "owner" for all active departmental/generic accounts to determine: If the account(s) should remain active, with the current account owner If the account(s) can be deleted or, If the account owner has changed and, the account should remain active, that we are provided the new account owner name
Questions about these processes can be directed to Doctor Notes or, the VCU helpIT Center at 828-2227.
This article was updated: 07/27/2011