SQL Server (#1529)
SQL Server Services: The VCU Computer Center provides SQL Server DBA support to Technology Services and other Administrative units within the University. We currently maintain five SQL Servers for shared use:
- DSS14 – SQL Server 2005 Standard (Test)
- DSS11, DSS15 – SQL Server 2005 Standard (Production)
- Vail – SQL Server 2008 Standard (Test)
- Breckenridge, Whistler – SQL Server 2008 Standard Clusters (Production)
Services include backup and recovery, performance tuning and monitoring and Integration Services (SSIS) creation and maintenance. We currently back-up all SQL Server databases using TSM's Total Data Protection (TDP) utility and backup tapes are taken off-site nightly. Transaction log back-ups are arranged on a case by case basis depending on the needs of the customer and the application. We also have experience setting-up and maintaining replication between multiple SQL Servers as well as database mirroring to a hot standby server in Harris Hall. In addition, the SQL 2008 production instances are configured as clusters for high availability.
How can I get a SQL Server database?
- Go to the VCU Online Support at http://supportcenter.vcu.edu to create a Remedy ticket requesting a SQL Server database.
- Enter your VCU eID and password, the choose the Remedy Requester under the Quick Links on the left of the page.
- Then choose the Create Request.
- Next to the “I need Assistance From/With” text box, click the box to display a list of choices. Choose Database.
- Continue to fill-out the form and submit upon completion.
- You will be contacted if there are any questions or when the database has been created and is available for use.
If you need the SQL Server Management Studio, please download SQL Server 2008 R2 Express here and install the client tools.
Contact the VCUCC DBA staff for more detail or if you have questions about the SQL Server database services provide by the VCUCC.
This article was updated: 10/01/2012